What are the 2 most common types of RC helicopter engines?
The two most common types of RC helicopter engines are nitro (or nitro-methane) and electric. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages, so choosing the right one for your needs is important.
Nitro engines are the original form of helicopter engine, and they use a combination of nitromethane and oil to provide power. Nitro engines are considered to be more powerful than electric engines, and they typically require more maintenance. Nitro engines require tuning and adjustment to keep them running at peak performance, and they can be quite loud. Additionally, nitro engines produce exhaust fumes, so they are not suitable for indoor use. They are, however, the preferred choice for outdoor flight.
Electric engines, meanwhile, are the newer type of RC helicopter engine. These engines use electricity to run, so they are more convenient than nitro engines and don't require as much maintenance. Electric engines are considered to be less powerful than nitro engines, but they are still capable of performing stunts and can reach adequate speeds. Additionally, electric engines are much quieter and produce no exhaust fumes, making them suitable for indoor use.
Ultimately, the choice between nitro and electric engines depends on the needs of the pilot. If you're looking for a powerful engine that requires more maintenance but is suitable for outdoor use, then a nitro engine would be your best bet. However, if you're looking for a quieter engine that requires less maintenance and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, then an electric engine is the way to go.
In conclusion, the two most common types of RC helicopter engines are nitro and electric. Both engines have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider your needs before deciding which one to buy.
Comments / Question
The two types of RC helicopter engines are electric and nitro.
Electric RC helicopter engines are powered by a battery and are typically quieter, easier to maintain and less expensive to operate. They are also more suitable for indoor flying and are more environmentally friendly.
Nitro RC helicopter engines are powered by a combination of nitromethane and lubricating oil, and are typically louder, more powerful, and more expensive to operate. They are also more suitable for outdoor flying, and require more maintenance.
2. Check and replace the spark plug regularly as instructed by your engine manufacturer.
3. Inspect all of the moving parts for signs of wear and tear, and replace them if necessary.
4. Regularly check the fuel system for leaks and ensure that the air filters are clean.
5. Make sure the fuel tank lid is firmly secured and there are no fuel leaks.
6. Use a fuel stabilizer to reduce the risk of corrosion and reduce the risk of fuel system damage.
7. Store the RC helicopter in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
8. Be mindful of how long the engine is running and when it needs to be turned off.
1. Quiet operation – electric motors are almost completely silent.
2. Low maintenance – electric motors have fewer moving parts than nitro or gas engines, and require far less maintenance.
3. Easy to use – electric motors are easier to use than nitro engines, as they don’t require fuel mixing or carburetor tuning.
4. Cost effective – electric motors are generally cheaper than nitro or gas engines, and can be easily replaced.
Nitro RC Helicopter Engine:
1. High power – nitro engines are capable of higher power output than electric motors.
2. Lightweight – nitro engines are generally lighter than electric motors, allowing for a lighter overall helicopter.
3. Tunable – nitro engines can be tuned for higher power output by adjusting the carburetor and fuel mixture.
4. Longer run times – nitro engines can run for longer periods of time than electric motors, depending on the fuel capacity.
Gas RC Helicopter Engine:
1. High power – gas engines are capable of higher power output than electric motors and nitro engines.
2. Long run times – gas engines can run for longer periods of time than electric motors, depending on the fuel capacity.
3. Cost effective – gas engines are generally cheaper than electric motors and nitro engines, and can be easily replaced.
4. Tunable – gas engines can be tuned for higher power output by adjusting the carburetor, fuel mixture, and exhaust.